Digital Cinema Academy
Due to Covid-19 IU Precollege programs for the Media School are being advised to cancel their summer 2020 sessions. We are abiding by this call to action and will no longer be offering the Digital Cinema Academy or Animation Academy during July 2020. All tuitions will be refunded as quickly as possible. Please stay safe and healthy and we hope to see you at IU in the future!
The Digital Cinema Academy is an intensive summer program for high school students interested in creating films.
Spend a week using industry-standard production techniques and equipment, and learning the full process of filmmaking from industry leaders. Take in lectures on cinematic production from some of the most successful names in Hollywood, including prominent executive producers, Emmy Award-winning directors and other professionals who have crewed big-name television and film titles.
The five-day program will introduce you to all the different phases of filmmaking, from pre-production to post-production. You’ll collaborate with fellow high school filmmakers to produce a short film in just one week.
This program is highly selective and limited to 20 students.
Michael Uslan, IU Alum and executive producer of the Batman movie franchise, including “Joker” — nominated for 11 Academy Awards — is one of this year’s lecturers at the Digital Cinema Academy! See a message from him below.
Each night will incorporate a film screening and reflection. Other activities include:
- Facilities tour and equipment orientation
- Lecture: Cinema production basics
- Group work: Production activity
- Lecture: Screenwriting
- Introduction to writing for film production
- Group work: Story development
- Lecture: Evaluating cinematic arts
- Introduction to artistic cinema critique and analysis
- Group work: Write/revise scripts, story pitches, script production
- Analysis and discussion of Wednesday evening screening
- Lecture: Sound design
- Introduction to Premiere Pro
- Group work: Script production and project editing, including sound
- Group work: Post-production, rough cut screenings and feedback, finalize and export projects
- Screen projects at public exhibition
Keep an eye out for details on sessions in Summer 2021!